Using the default mail application on my android phone the read/unread marker doesn't sync with the server. This happens as well using the K-9 mail application. This could be a problem within the client (since it seems to work with thunderbird). But since it doesn't happen with any other mail account I'm using with the android application there must be some issues with Zoho's imap server as well.
We analysed the logs at our end for the past two days, we could not find any mail status update(read/unread) request from your login. For more precise analysis, we request you to create a folder, and move one unread mail to the folder and try to view the mail content from your android phone. Once you have done this let us know the folder name so that we can analyse the IMAP requests at our end and let you know of the outcome.
I just did a small test. The problem is a little bit different. When I mark a message as read on the phone then it is read in the webfrontend as well. This works.
But: The mail program on the android phone doesn't recognizes the "read"-marker. It always thinks that the mails are unread. This means: I synchronize my mails and I see every mail as unread. (it doesn't matter if they are read on the server or not). Then I read all mails. Mails that were unread before then are marked as read on the server.
When I synchronize my mails on the phone again then every mail appears as unread again (only on the phone). So I guess that the android mail application doesn't get the "read"-marker as it espects.
I guess you will need an android phone to see what is happening. If needed I could sniff the traffic between the phone and the server to see where the differences are. (But I'm no professional in IMAP, only in SMTP and NNTP)
P.S.: The folder I did the tests with is named "Unread Mails"
Thanks for the details. We checked the same at our end with android, and could not reproduce the issue here. Could you let us know the android version so that we will try and check in the same environment here and let you know of our findings.
I tested with a motorola milestone (AFAIK its called "droid" in the states) with Android 2.2 and with a "china-pad" with Android 2.1. I also tested K-9. It seems that they have changed something in newer versions. With K-9 its working now. So the only problem is the default mail application on android.
Here a similar problem. I've got an HTC desire hd with Android 2.2 and
k9mail latest version (3.11 if i don't go wrong) and one of the bigger problem is the impossibility
to have a correct sync for read/unread/deleted/moved/copied emails when
these actions are made from email client on Android (no problems with
thunderbird). I have also some other doubts (about mail pushing or about
the standard android client that goes in timeout with zoho, for
example) but for now I need to solve this one first. I have already set
the options for auto expunge and correct the IMAP folders for
inbox,trash,send and so on. If you have tested Zoho mail on Android
please tell me your environment, your o.s., your email sw and your
settings. Thank you so much. I want also to know if and when do you
think to support emails in ActiveSync-Excange in addition to the
available services Calendar and AddressBook. Thanks.
By 'ActiveSync-Exchange', we guess you mean Activesync for Zoho Mail similar to ActiveSync for contacts and Calendar. We have started working on 'ActiveSync' for emails, however we cannot commit on a time frame on when it will be made available.
Please get back to us in case you need any further information in this regard.
Yes I have the same issue with my Android Epic 4G Touch running gingerbread. Everytime the mail syncs on Android it shows them as unread. Since I get over 200 emails a day in my business email box I do not want to see 200 unread mails everytime it syncs.
This is an issue for me now too. Enabled POP and IMAP but still everyone of my emails change from "read" to "unread" every time my phone checks for new mail. Using Android Galaxy mini (aka Galaxy Pop) and running Froyo (Android 2.2 and using the default e-mail app. All my set up options seem to be fine. I will keep scouring for more answers but I'm not sure what else I can do.
Since others seem to have had this issue months ago, I'm hoping they can share how they solved the problem. And if you are having this problem please add to this thread to keep it relevant.